Sunday, May 29, 2011

For the Love of Baking

A cake made for "Aunty Symon" (Uncle Symon)
by my littliest, Miss H, with some help from me.

Both girls had a great time decorating it.
It's a layered chocolate
mud cake - the cheat's version!


I have a passion for cooking that is absolutely unstoppable! It's what gets me up in the morning (like this morning) to try a new pancake recipe (for us). 1 cup plain flour. 1 cup milk. 1 egg. Mix and cook in a warm pan 'till golden.

It's what has me buying new recipe books and trying out the recipes.

And,it's what keeps me up late at night decorating chocolate cupcakes for the next day's function. 11/3 cups SR flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 125g butter, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 11/4 cups caster sugar, 2 eggs and 2/3 water. Mix, pour in greased cake tin and bake in moderate oven. (Women's Weekly Kids Party Cakes Recipe Book)

I just LOVE to bake but where my passion is growing deeper is when I'm passing on the great love of cooking to my girls. We read cookbooks, borrow cookbooks, talk about cooking and all the different ingredients. We discuss how things work, what ingredients will do to the taste of the food and then of course, the best part....we taste. Sometimes our cooking experiences are spontaneous and sometimes they are well planned and you'll find our ideas on the shopping list. One thing I've found though is the more we cook, the more I can start to step away from the bowl.

It's such a joy to see the girls love to cook. Will it be a case of "like mother, like daughter"? We'll have to see but for now I'm enjoying this time with my baking beauties.

Do you enjoy baking experiences with your kids? What's their favourite recipe?

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

I love baking too Amanda! I do baking at least once or twice a week. My boys love to cook, and will often ask me to make a cake or cupcake. I'm even getting better at biscuits :) I think my boys' favourite part is licking the beaters and spoons! I have had to introduce a spoon, becuase no.3 is now old enough to know what's going on and there are only 2 beaters. I think cooking with kids is a wonderful thing to do. I love it :)

Leisa said...

Love the cake. I am sure Symon loved it! So glad you are enjoying baking with and for your family!

Jodie said...

How did the pancakes turn out? I love baking as well, but it is always great to have a quick and simple recipe up your sleeve.

Busy Brissy Mum said...

Lovely to hear from some baking buddies! Symon did love his cake, Leisa. It was made with a lot of love. He was walking unaided so maybe the cake should have been to celebrate that too.

@ Jodie - The pankcakes were delicious. The batter makes just enough for each of us to have one so we'd need to double or triple the mixture if we were to share them with friends. I agree about quick recipes. Most of the ones I enjoy are those that are simple but taste delicious.

Anonymous said...

Website
Website
Website
Website
Website

Anonymous said...

Website
Website
Website
Website
Website

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin