Thursday, July 9, 2009

Playdough Recipe - Easy as 1,2,3, Simple as Dough Re Me



Sorry for the corny MJ reference in the title but as I blog along I am listening to one of my favourite Jackson Five albums, 'The Very Best Of The Jacksons'. I thought I'd share with you how to make playdough. Thanks Mel for the question. It's a timely follow-up to yesterdays blog - 'Playdough Three Ways'.

Before I get blogging with this recipe I might just mention that the Playdough Three Ways blog is found back in a blog from a few weeks ago. I started it way back then and finished it yesterday. (Look in the archives under arts and crafts) There are a few different ways to make playdough. You can make a cooked or uncooked version but I have to say that I prefer the texture of cooked playdough. Making it is easy and storing it for a long time is just as easy as all you have to do is keep it in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last for ages as long as you pack it up as soon as you're finished playing with it.

The recipe for cooked playdough is found on the side of a McKenzie's Cream of Tartar container - simple! Great for those trips to the supermarket when you've forgotten the list! Here it is anyway. I suggest you keep the ingredients on hand in your pantry so you can always have some playdough ready for your kids. Playdough is a good time filler. It can be a lovely quiet activity when you need one, a wonderful fine motor development builder, is fantastic for role play and just great fun for littlies...and parents too.



Cooked Playdough
You will need...

2 cups plain flour
4 tablespoons McKenzie's Cream of Tartar
2 tablespoons cooking oil - I buy a plain brand one
1 cup salt
food colouring - I use powder paint for stronger colour
2 cups water

Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan over a medium heat.
Stir with a sturdy wooden spoon until the mixture congeals; a ball will begin to form. (muscle building stuff!)
It will probably start to catch on the bottom of the saucepan (mine usually does!) but this is the time to take it out and knead on a floured board.

Once the dough has cooled down it is ready for play...play...play. Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin